Wednesday, August 30, 2017

I'm wrong, are you?

 poor georgie’s almanack.  

Who knew (and Who is not talking). Irish slaves once were cheaper than African.  South Africa treated its slaves worse than the USA.  

After recently reading a lot of history, humanities and science … new, heavy stuff above my grade level … I learned how wrong I’ve been about a lot of things. Some new science is beyond science fiction. That stuff about other universes might just be right. 

Some new historical research shows my high school and college teachers, bright and lovable as they were, were flat-out-wrong. For instance, the pox from pigs that Spanish Conquistadores brought to the New World killed up to 90 millions Native Americans, which is why a few white guys and their camp followers could take over two continents.


I no longer am comfortable in my media/history/religious bubble.   Learning is not only interesting, it is fun. For instance, there is are historic reasons the guy in N. Korean with the funny haircut acts the way he does … evil as he is. And why China, Japan and Russia, his immediate neighbors, react in expected ways. I have not been reading up on grammar, but whoever, or whomever, of the men (always the guys) who said “Those who don’t study history are doomed to repeat it,” really knew his stuff. But, science is way more fascinating.


No comments:

Post a Comment